Saturday, August 8, 2009

John Hughes Made My Heart Smile


Wow. Let's get serious for a sec. I am up very late, again I might ad. As I sit here and dick around on the internet, I have just remembered something terribly sad that I learned about earlier today (or yesterday I guess?). Someone who has been largely responsible for my sense of humor, and maybe even some sense of comfort throughout my life, has passed away. John Hughes, responsible for films like Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Uncle Buck passed away two days ago. After hearing of this news, I forced myself to think back at the films that John Hughes has made over the years and figure out what the hell I got from them. Now, you and I know that when you watch a movie and you feel that sense of comfort inside you, that feeling of joy and contentment, that you don't think about the root of that feeling or what goes behind it, but rather you are just content with being content. As I have grown older, writing, especially film and comedic writing, has become something that I have aspired to do. It has also been something that I have realized isn't easy at all. It isn't easy to write a story, convey the emotions and actions of a character and then tie all things together into a theme for the whole film or work. It's not something you think about when you are young. You don't think about what goes into making you laugh, you just like to laugh and feel good. You like to feel like the bad guys are going away and everything will be fine. I mean how many of us laughed in Home Alone when Kevin did everything but castrate Harry and Marv? The little kids won! And anyone who is my age was a little kid when the Home Alone movies were big. A majority of my favorite John Hughes films were filmed before I was even born, but still were so relevant to me and the way I felt at the age that I watched them. I remember the first time I saw the Breakfast Club, I thought it was the greatest thing that I had ever seen. The way Hughes wrote the characters so that everyone was cool in their own way had an impact on not only how I thought about myself, but how I thought of other people. And Uncle Buck, that movie has been a favorite of my brother and I for years, and he is 3 years younger than me. We still quote that movie. The bottom line is that Hughes' work is timeless. It will always be making you laugh and giving you that unexplainable feeling of comfort and looking back on it, I recognize the importance of him in my life more than ever before. I have never even met the guy but, thanks for the laughs Mr. Hughes.

No comments:

Post a Comment